Thursday, July 9, 2015

REVIEW: Red Queen

     Hello fellows!

     I'll just skip straight to the point, THE BOOK WAS AMAZING AND YOU NEED TO READ IT.

     Please excuse my eagerness.
 
ABOUT THE BOOK:
Title: Red Queen
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Publisher: Orion
Edition: read as an ebook
Publication Date: February 10, 2015
Rating: 5 STARS TO THE MAX
Synopsis: The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?

 
“Words can lie. See beyond them.”      -Victoria Aveyard, Red Queen 
     Mare Barrow lives in a world divided by colors, not skin but blood. The ordinary Reds serve the mysterious Silver, who are born with abilities out of this world. She is one year away from bidding farewell to her family, her best friend Kilorn, and her life of thievery to serve in the army fighting against wars that seem to never end. Although when Mare shows Silver-like powers in front of the royal family and High Houses, her Red blood ceases to be important. To cover up this impossibility, the King betroths her to his youngest son and she must portray the life of a long-lost daughter to a war hero of a disappeared High House. Her Red blood must not be shown while her Silver powers are put into the spotlight. She is thrust into a world of deceit, betrayal and unexpected friendships.
 
“I told you to hide your heart once. You should have listened.”        -Victoria Aveyard, Red Queen
 
     Okay first, my disclaimer is that I have yet to figure out how to express my feelings via  words. But my primary order of business is THAT PLOT TWIST (at the end) THOUGH. I know there are some readers who have yet to read this book and will be oblivious to what readers who already read this book are thinking. Those who haven't picked up Red Queen will be confused as those who've already experienced the miracles of Victoria Aveyard's writing will be like "I KNOW RIGHT!!!" You guys know what I'm thinking of.
 
“To look powerful is to be powerful.”        -Victoria Aveyard, Red Queen
 
     Given that hint of a plot twist at the end, you should already have an idea to how awesome this book is. At first, the book was a little slow. Thus causing me to take such an amount of time to read it. Although of course, this book is set in another world after ours so it's quite expected for a chunk of the novel to be dedicated specifically for creating the society Mare lives in. After you've adjusted to Mare's life and the rules, the book just goes by in a snap. I never wanted the book to end, but it did. With such a change of direction in the plot, at that.
 
“Red in the head, Silver in the heart”      -Victoria Aveyard, Red Queen 
 
     Mare was a strong, fierce female lead. She was (excuse my language) badass in every way and a suiting protagonist for a world like hers. We are introduced to other characters, as well. But I believe I shouldn't discuss them in a spoiler-free review because if I did then I'd bend the title "spoiler-free". Although if you were wondering, I still would like Mare to end up with he who has betrayed. You'll know who I'm discussing about after you've read the book. Many of you will ponder with "Why?". I really don't know the reason as to why I still like him but he's just too... I'm at a loss of words, sorry. I just do.
 
     If you have any thoughts, questions or comments, feel free to contact me by commenting below!
 
      That's all for my post, and remember: you should be a tree; they have awesome afterlives.
 
*I'm not sure if you've noticed, but I decided to change the look to my reviews and added a couple new features and parts*

No comments:

Post a Comment